A clean documentation and blog theme for your Hugo site based on Bootstrap 5.
- Author: Mark Dumay
- Minimum Hugo Version: 0.81.0
- GitHub Stars: 28
- Updated: 2023-05-27
- License: MIT
- Tags: Blog Bootstrap Docs Minimal
Hugo Theme Hinode
A clean documentation and blog theme for your Hugo site based on Bootstrap 5
About • Prerequisites • Installation • Configuration • Contributing • Donate • License
Hinode is a clean documentation and blog theme for Hugo, an open-source static site generator. Based on the Bootstrap 5 framework, the rendered site is fast, secure, and responsive. Hinode uses FlexSearch to enable full text search across your site. Finally, the theme uses Node Package Manager to automate the build process and to keep track of dependencies.
Additional features include:
- Switching between light mode and dark mode
- Support for multiple languages
- Reusable Bootstrap components through configurable shortcodes and partials
- Embedded comments through light-weight integration with GitHub via utteranc.es
- Integrated sidebar navigation for content-heavy sections, such as documentation pages
- Reponsive image handling for multiple screen sizes and resolutions
- Optimized search results, scoring 100 points for SEO on PageSpeed Insights
- Secure by default, scoring A+ on Mozilla Observatory test
Detailed information about Hinode is available on the official website.
Hinode requires Git, Node.js and npm for local development and testing. Download the Git binary from the official website. Next, download and install Node.js (it includes npm) for your platform.
Start a new Hinode project in three steps:
Create a new site
Hinode is available as a child theme, and a main theme. The child theme uses npm to link to the latest available version of Hinode. Unless you plan to customize a lot, it is recommended to use the child theme:
git clone https://github.com/gethinode/child.git my-hinode-site && cd my-hinode-site
Use the main theme if you intend to customize the base code:
git clone https://github.com/gethinode/hinode.git my-hinode-site && cd my-hinode-site
Start development server
npm run start
See the official documentation on how to configure your site.
See the official documentation on how to contribute to the open-source development of Hinode.
Hinode is inspired by the following themes:
- Blist - a clean and fast blog theme for your Hugo site using Tailwind CSS.
- Doks - a Hugo theme for building secure, fast, and SEO-ready documentation websites, which you can easily update and customize.
child codebase is released under the MIT license. The documentation (including the “README” and
docs codebase) is licensed under the Creative Commons (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.