minimal theme puts your content first refridgerator
See a live example at my website, penwatch.net.
Looking for a Hugo documentation theme with a similar focus on minimal functionality? Try
- Pages load FAST FAST FAST. (First page overhead: ≈40 kB. Subsequent page overhead: ≈3 kB.)
- Responsive - looks great on desktop or mobile.
- High contrast - black text, on a white background, with blue links.
- Supports your choice of taxonomies: categories, or tags, or series, or all three at once.
- Google Analytics.
- Top and bottom menus.
- Printable - headers, footers, and menus disappear when you hit the “Print” button.
- Table of contents - just put
show_table_of_contents = "true"in your front matter.
- Example site available -
config.tomland basic pages ready to go.
My goal is to load the first page in 50kB or less.
That means I’ve left out anything that wasn’t needed. Some things I omitted include:
- jQuery (30kB compressed)
- highlight.js (100kB compressed) - use Pygments for server-side highlighting instead.
- Web fonts (e.g. 200kB for Proxima Nova and Source Code Pro)
- Icons, i.e. font-awesome (70 kB compressed)